[OSM-talk-ie] Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of old-style Wikipedia links in Ireland

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Mar 19 18:12:19 UTC 2019

Mar 19, 2019, 5:04 PM by andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk:

> On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 at 08:49, Mateusz Konieczny <> matkoniecz at tutanota.com <mailto:matkoniecz at tutanota.com>> > wrote:
>
>> For example "wikipedia:en=Ireland" is an old style link, while
>> "wikipedia=en:Ireland" is a form that is currently standard.
>>
>> Please comment no matter what you think about this idea! I will not
>> make the edit without a clear support so please comment if you think
>> that it is a good idea and if you think that it should not be done.
>>

> Sounds good. Can you do this outside Ireland also?

For now I processed Poland and USA.

I posted on mailing lists for Australia and Ireland, and I am planning to do it for GB.

It is not done as global edit as within Ukraine, Belarus and some other countries
multitagging Wikipedia tags is done as compromise to language wars -
and I am not interested in retriggering this case of "Ukraine vs Russia" discussions.

Also, proposing global bot edits is frequently protested by people believing
that any automated edit is harmful because it causes object to be edited.

>> Links detected as invalid (leading to disambigs, articles about humans,
>> animals, plants, events etc) are also skipped
>>

> Can you flag these up; perhaps by writing to a list on a wiki page?
> They need to be reviewed, and probably corrected.

OK! I will do it and post about it on this mailing list.

Are you interested in Ireland, part of the Ireland or some other part of the world?
Feel free to specify as narrow as you would like, requests up to
"withing X km from town Y" are feasible.

(in fact this bot edit is result of project that was about listing invalid
wikipedia and wikidata tags).