[OSM-talk-ie] Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of old-style Wikipedia links in Ireland

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Mar 19 18:30:36 UTC 2019

Mar 19, 2019, 2:04 PM by colmmoore72 at hotmail.com:

> Hi,
>
> 1. If it makes things easier for people, then go for it.
>
> 2. I add the wikipedia tag to>  a variety of objects, not just geographical entities. Why won't these be converted?

wikipedia tag is supposed to be specifically about mapped object

For example statue of George Boole would have
subject:wikipedia=en:George Boole
tag, not
wikipedia=en:George Boole

Or
brand:wikipedia=en:McDonald's
on a McDonald's fast food rather than
wikipedia=en:McDonald's

See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:wikipedia#Secondary_Wikipedia_links <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:wikipedia#Secondary_Wikipedia_links> for more info.

> 4. Are there actually only about 40 entries to be changed?

Yes, but note
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Mateusz_Konieczny_-_bot_account/elimination_of_old-style_Wikipedia_links_in_Ireland#Repetition <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Mateusz_Konieczny_-_bot_account/elimination_of_old-style_Wikipedia_links_in_Ireland#Repetition>
that it may be rerun in future.

> http://stat.latlon.org/ie/latest/tags-w.html <http://stat.latlon.org/ie/latest/tags-w.html>
> wikidata 3904
> wikimedia_commons 3
> wikipedia 1633
> wikipedia:de 1
> wikipedia:en 38
> wikipedia:fi 1
> wikipedia_1 1
>
> 5. Is there a big discrepancy between the number of > wikidata (> 3904> ) and wikimedia (> 1633> ) objects? Is this an issue?

In Poland tagging standard is to use both wikipedia and wikidata tags if possible, if
the tagging standard in Ireland is the same I may add missing wikipedia and wikidata tags.