[OSM-talk-ie] Duplicate townland nodes

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 17:39:35 UTC 2019

On 03/10/2019, Dave Foley <davefoley at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think they should be deleted,

I've been routinely deleting townland nodes as townland relations were
being added. Just had to make sure that no information was lost, by
checking the tags.

Apparently there are a lot of townland nodes left (or have they been
re-added ?):  https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/MRH and a few hundred have
been touched this year. Top 10 editors are
  3276         "@user": "Dafo43",
    922         "@user": "PaddyMatthews",
    536         "@user": "brianboru",
     66         "@user": "mad_map",
     29         "@user": "pjna",
     24         "@user": "TOSiochain",
     17         "@user": "shiftee",
     13         "@user": "andi2911",
     11         "@user": "balorevileye",
     10         "@user": "IrlJidel",

Color me intrigued.

> it's not easy to work out townland
> names on the OSM website let alone any GPS device you might be using.

That seems like tagging for the renderer, at the expense of having
duplicate entries which might confuse for example geocoders. At least
add the node to the relation with a role=label
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:boundary#Relation_members)
so deduplication is possible.

FWIW, I do find the default osm style's "label on the boundary line"
hard to read sometime, but the double-labeled townlands caused by
towland nodes are even weirder. I'd rather solve this with code than
data.

> Then
> you also have the subtownlands which may share the name of the townland but
> be centered in a different location, they should be tagged as
> locality=subtownland but aren't always.

Sure.