[OSM-talk-ie] theme it is for me then | Re: How to map Irish pubs?

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Mon Oct 14 20:55:24 UTC 2019

On 09/10/2019 00:14, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
 > 8 Oct 2019, 23:43 by t4dc4n at gmail.com:
 >> This doesn't directly solve the problem, but you could use the
 >> brand tag and put in the Guinness and other drinks that are
 >> traditionally in an Irish pub if you knew their selection.
 >
 > I would expect brand tag to be brand of pub (what AFAIK is rare), not
 > list of brands of its inventory.

I agree. `brand` is for (e.g.) `brand=Weatherspoons`. You could use
`sells:Guinness=yes` to record that something is sold. But that's not
always helpful, because (e.g.) there are many pubs in England that sell
Guinness and aren't “Irish pubs”, and Irish pubs which don't sell
Guinness (there's one in my city like that, but they will sell you a
“Black & Tan” 😡).

 > (well, unless you care for/can define the distinction between Irish
 > and British pubs)

At a minimum they tend to self identify, having “Irish Pub” in the name.
Or just go in and see if they have green white and orange flags (irish
pub), or big ben, and queen elizabeth pictures (British). (Though
there's a "British" pub in my city with murals of Irish revolutionary
Wolfe Tone on the wall, so 🤷 )

On 09.10.19 00:20, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
 > Bit of an awkward one, but there are pub's in Northern & Inland
 > Australia that white people are NOT welcome in (& I'm absolutely
 > certain that the same thing, & reverse, applies in many places). Is
 > that something that we could / should list against OSM pubs?

“Unwelcoming to $ETHNICY/$RACE” is too subjective for OSM, so doesn't
belong in OSM. Plus with structural racism, you'd almost have to tag
_every_ establishment as “Unfriendly to $MARGINALIZED_GROUP”.

I tried to come up with a clear definition for LGBTQ venues (
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:lgbtq ), and I think it's
working, and there aren't many venues which are ambiguous.

https://www.cafe-ventoux.cc) and
 > the consensus was also to use theme

Simple is important. I do like `theme=irish`, being an adjective, rather
than a
subtag of "pub", potentially allowing other themed things (like themed
cafe's
here).