[OSM-talk-ie] What are your 'must map' features?

Colm Moore colmmoore72 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 16 23:26:00 UTC 2019

Hi,

So, for whatever reason, some of us are interested in specific localities or projects, e.g. minutely mapping a whole village or neighbourhood, all the roads in a county or perhaps something more specific, e.g. mapping all shops in a chainĀ or technical, e.g. I do a fair bit of debugging of disconnected roads.

There are some features that I feel I 'must' map, e.g. if something has a reference number (road, bus stop, rubbish bin (Dublin City Council has them)), I want to map it. I *really* like mapping / filling in details on electrical transformers (I'm the most recent editor of 2,274 of 2,285 transformers mapped in Ireland). I can smell them at 50 metres! :) Or rather, I've mapped so many I can tell in a neighbourhood where I am likely to find one.

I also run scripts through Over-Pass Turbo a few times a month, searching for police stations, post office infrastructure and power facilities that need their tagging improved. I also map pipelines & storage  tanks. I've mapped lots of railway, but there are relatively few feature left to map.

Most of the time, mapping driveways an houses bores me.

Colm