[OSM-talk-ie] "access=yes" on highway=trunk

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 17:52:48 UTC 2020

On 30/12/2020 13:47, Colm Moore wrote:
> Hi,
>
> access=yes is important because some route planners seem to assume that highway=trunk means a UK-style expressway (fully or nearly fully grade-separated dual carriageway with no access for pedestrians and possibly other categories). Alternatively, they may just deem them unsuitable for pedestrians. Examples of these in Ireland would be the South City Link Road in Cork or the Chapelizod Bypass in Dublin.

Thanks for that.

To be honest, that sounds like a bug with whatever router is making that
assumption.  The usual tag that should indicate that pedestrians aren't
allowed is "motorroad=yes" - if that isn't there and the user isn't in a
country where that is a reasonable default for a trunk road (and it's
not a reasonable default for either IE or the UK FWIW) then there's no
reasons why pedestrians shouldn't be routed along that road.

Plenty of trunk roads near me (rural UK) have sidewalks or wide verges,
and are a pretty safe environment.

> Not accounting for the issue can mean pedestrians in locations on national routes are routed via long(er) detours instead of just crossing the street. https://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=fossgis_osrm_foot&route=52.0936%2C-7.6304%3B52.0937%2C-7.6233#map=16/52.0923/-7.6260 or https://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=fossgis_osrm_foot&route=51.90661%2C-8.39573%3B51.90682%2C-8.39722#map=15/51.9116/-8.3930

I'm guessing that that's hosted by Fossgis in Germany.  My
understanding, based on
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtrunk , is that the
OSM mappers in Germany only map motorroads as trunk, which might explain it.

Interestingly it appears that
https://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=graphhopper_foot&route=52.09360%2C-7.63040%3B52.09370%2C-7.62330#map=17/52.09351/-7.62688
works correctly, so perhaps an option might be to use the router without
that bug?

Best Regards,

Andy