[OSM-talk-ie] Talk-ie Digest, Vol 132, Issue 5

Colm Moore colmmoore72 at hotmail.com
Fri May 15 12:00:09 UTC 2020

Hi,

From: Dave Corley <davecorley at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk-ie] Estimate of number of building=* in Ireland

> The fact that so many buildings are being mapped as building=yes
> when more accurate tagging is plainly obvious makes this an utterly
> frustrating project.

Yes, it can be frustrating for some people. However, realise that the majority of contributors are people who only make a few dozens edits or less. These contributors can provide good local information, but might not know how to precisely tag many things.

Other people revel in adding detail - in terms of nodes half of all my contribution to OSM is fleshing-out things with tags that other people have mapped. In terms of tags, it is possible it is much higher.

Then there are others that like to go back and standardise things, e.g. many mobile phone masts get mapped as man_made=tower instead of man_made=mast. I did an exercise recently to correct and flesh out many of these, adding the landuse, site boundary, buildings, etc. In a  few months, I'll do another exercise.

Much of my editing has been in power, railways, pipelines, post, police, man_made objects, bus stops, speed limits (where I will also add surface=* and lanes=*) and the places I have lived or visited because those are things I have at least some knowledge about. However, in some cases, it has taken years to build up that knowledge. The only relations I have mapped are junction turn restrictions. I have never mapped a townland - but I'm currently going through them to add logainm references.

We are all contributing.

Colm