[OSM-talk-ie] Voltage warning

Colm Moore colmmoore72 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 2 23:12:24 UTC 2020

Hi,

It is difficult to determine the exact voltage on each piece of the electricity network without going to inspect each individual device on site (potentially difficult, unsafe, potentially illegal), although there are some visual clues in the overhead photos (size of substation, power route, size & type of pole, etc.). There are hundreds of thousands of transformers and twice as much power line as there is public roads.

voltage=low, voltage:primary=low, voltage:secondary=low, etc. are placeholder values I created to help identify the voltages used on the power network.

  1.  voltage=* can apply to any part of any electrical device.
  2.  voltage:primary=* primarily applies to transformers and substations and is the voltage for the side the power is coming from.
  3.  voltage:secondary=* primarily applies to transformers and substations and is the voltage for the side the power is going to.
  4.  There are also voltage:tertiary=* and voltage:quaternary=* for locations with multiple voltages.

These are the values I have been using:

  1.  High = I presume the voltage to be 110,000 volts or higher but can't say which.
  2.  Medium = I presume the voltage to be 38,000 volts but can't say for definite.
  3.  Low = I presume the voltage to be 20,000 volts or lower but can't say which.

The network operators and voltages used across Ireland are below.

Could I ask where the error is showing? The usual debugging sites normally associate errors with the most recent contributor - usually me.

Colm

---------------------

EirGrid (Republic of Ireland and Ireland-Britain)
400000 - high
220000 - high
110000 - high

ESB Networks (Republic of Ireland)
38000 - medium
20000 - low
10000 - low
400 (often referred to as 380-415) - low
230 (often referred to as 220-240) - low

NIE Networks (Northern Ireland)
400000 - high
275000 - high
110000 - high
33000 - medium
19000 - low
11000 - low
6600 - low
400 (often referred to as 380-415) - low
230 (often referred to as 220-240) - low

Mutual Energy (Northern Ireland-Britain)
250000

Irish Rail
1500

Luas