[OSM-talk-ie] some of my inconsistent tagging - cure sought

Brian Hollinshead brian at hollinshead.net
Sun Sep 20 12:08:27 UTC 2020

I apologise for causing so much discussion. When I contemplated using  an
auto edit to change some 686 cases of mistaken tagging from anglican=Church
Of Ireland to anglican=Church of Ireland.

On reading from the links Mateusz sent I see that even for acceptable usage
the following applies

You should normally document your proposed edit at an English-language wiki
page named "Automated edits/username" (where *username* is the OSM user
name of the account that you will be using to perform the edits - think
about this *now* so that you don't have to rename the page later), and add
it to Category:Automated edits log
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Automated_edits_log>.

Your documentation should state:

   - Who is making the change (preferably your real name and how to contact
   you, ideally e-mail address)
   - Your motivation for making the change and why it is important
   - A detailed description of the algorithm you will use to decide which
   objects are changed how
   - Information about any consultation that you have conducted, with links
   to mailing list/forum posts or Wiki discussion pages
   - When the change was made, or how frequently it is going to be repeated
   - Information on how to "opt out"
   - Approved Bots should have a wiki page that with the name of your bot
   as the title. They should also have a user account of the same name with
   clear links between the user account and the wiki page.
   -
   - Unquote
   -
   - I accept this may all be desirable and neccessary but I just
   don't feel like embarking on all these requirements and so have abandoned
   any thoughts of auto edit.

I have instead decided to manually correct my mistakes and have since cured
some 250 of them and will see it through. Thank you..