[OSM-talk-ie] Web page map of Dublin Streets but with name:ga shown.

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 11:52:28 UTC 2021

On 11/08/2021 15:40, Colm Moore wrote:
> If you set your device's settings to Irish, then OSM will pick up on that and serve the Irish language names. However, everything in your device will also be Irish.

Maybe I'm getting hold of the wrong end of the stick here, but that
won't change the language used to create the map tiles at any of the
maps at openstreetmap.org .

You can also change the _website_ language using "locale" as part of the
URL, so:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/917824441?locale=DE#map=15/53.3243/-6.2309

shows things like "Weg" instead of "Way".  Using:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/917824441?locale=GA#map=15/53.3243/-6.2309

does show "Way: Bóthar Anglesea (917824441)" at the top left, but still
"Anglesea Road" on all the map tiles.  The website doesn't appear to
have much translated into GA so it still says "Way:".

As an aside,
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/917824441?locale=GD#map=15/53.3243/-6.2309
seems to show more site text translated than "GA" does.

If you want to show map tiles with GA names you (or someone) will need
to create them.

Best Regards,

Andy