[OSM-talk-ie] Web page map of Dublin Streets but with name:ga shown.

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 12:43:41 UTC 2021

On 21/08/2021 13:01, Colm Moore wrote:
> I was basing my comments on a conversation I had with someone when I introduced them to OSM. The had their phone (iPhone?) settings in Irish and the map immediately showed Irish place names.

If they're using an app on their phone that uses vector tiles that
support multiple languages (like the ones that John Kennedy mentioned at
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ie/2021-August/002891.html
) then that would explain it.  On Android, OsmAnd can switch languages
in this way, and I'm sure that other apps can too.  I suspect that most
iPhone phone apps will also work that way (and each will use their own
tile infrastructure or a third party's, rather than OSM's).

"Localised Map Rendering" is at the top of the "Top Ten Tasks" at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Top_Ten_Tasks , but frankly if it
was easy to make the osm.org website work this way someone would have
done it by now.

Separately to that I'd love to add a "vector tiles" option to
https://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/ , but none of the options that
I've looked at so far were really "soup to nuts not tied to a particular
provider", either with tile infrastructure, or on the client.  Another
challenge that I don't yet know the answer to is how to regenerate
vector tile data as OSM data changes.  That's pretty much a solved
problem for raster tiles, and although it isn't an issue for someone who
just provides app map updates every month or so, it's not easy to do
with vector tiles.

Best Regards,

Andy