[OSM-talk-ie] Coastline on tidal rivers

Mike Riney mike.riney at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 21:32:57 UTC 2021

Hi,

Thanks everyone for commenting.  I am responding to previous comments by
all users using this post:

>From local knowledge I know that the River Roughty high tide point is
indeed at the location where some previous editor had moved the coastline.
 Thats the location of the Tinkers Pool co-ords provided by Dave.  But I
just don't think the coastline should be set at the high-tide point so I
changed it to be further down-stream.

Yes, there is that historic naming anomaly from the Lansdowne times that
what is properly Kenmare Bay was named as Kenmare River for their own
gain.  The coastline should definitely encircle all of Kenmare Bay/River,
and still does after my changes.   But the Roughty River is different to
Kenmare River, just flows into it.   So the question of where the coastline
and Roughty intersect still remains.

>From the examples provided, the Liffey helps confirm my approach.   The
Liffey Weir at Islandbridge is the HWM, but the OSM coastline is at Poolbeg
- the entrance to Dublin port.  The changes I have made to Kenmare
coastline match that approach.

--
Regards, Mike
mike.riney at gmail.com