[OSM-talk-ie] Row of houses with their own name

Donal Hunt donal.hunt at openstreetmap.ie
Thu Jul 15 12:34:34 UTC 2021

Not 100% sure there is consensus on how to map it but the topic has come up
before (see here
<https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/22932/terrace-names-in-streets>)

Example mentioned there is: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/132932358

There is also a few discussions on the topic:

   - https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:building%3Dterrace
   - https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:addr

My approach would probably be to do the following:

   - Map the terrace and then use the terracing tool to capture the build
   environment
   - Use addr:housenumber=* and addr:street=* with addr:street=* using the
   terrace's name, not the nearest road.
   - possibly look at some of the suggested relations mentioned in the talk
   pages.
   - possibly add the name of the terrace to the terrace outline (similar
   to how you can name landuse=residential areas after the housing estate
   name).

Interested to hear thoughts from others...

Donal

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 1:16 PM Mike Riney <mike.riney at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A block of houses on Chapelizod Road in Islandbridge Dublin 8 at Jct of
> South Circular have their own name - Park Place - which isn't on OSM.  I
> know I saw examples of that in the past, but I can't remember how to
> represent it.
>
> Can someone point me to an example that I can copy.
>
> They are not properly recorded on Google maps either, so I like to make OSM
> better than google.
> --
> Regards, Mike
> mike.riney at gmail.com