[OSM-talk-ie] Coastline on tidal rivers

Mike Riney mike.riney at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 17:56:16 UTC 2021

Hi,

I've changed the coastline of the River Roughty in Kenmare to be further
downstream than it previously was.  It is now more akin to what a
local would describe as Kenmare Bay.  The previous coastline extended up
the river to include all of the tidal area.  That meant that the
riverbank was also treated as boundaries of Munster, Kerry, and many other
regions that didn't make much sense since both sides of the river are in
those regions.

Based on this way http://osmlab.github.io/osm-deep-history/#/way/385582526,
best I can figure out is that new new coastline was created in 2015 by user
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SK53, who edits in 80 different
countries, principally UK.   But I'm not familiar enough with the various
editing tools to confirm the history.    So i haven't contacted whoever
created it.

I don't know the history of Irish tidal river mapping but the general OSM
guidelines give some flexibility and other examples take the same approach
in placing tidal areas inside the coastline.

If its incorrect, please let me know and I can revert.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tidal_Rivers
Eg
Not sure the tidal extent of the River Lee, but the coastline is set just
inland from the Jack Lynch Tunnel
The Thames is tidal through London to Teddington, but the coastline is set
at Coryton near Southend-on-Sea
--
Regards, Mike
mike.riney at gmail.com