[Talk-in] Time for consensus

Tanveer Singh tanveer1979 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 10:29:25 GMT 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 3:47 PM, Kiran Jonnalagadda <jace at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org> wrote:
>>
>> my only concern is that 'national highway' tag is meaningless - it just
>> means
>> that the road is maintained by the NHAI. Which means that any two-bit
>> politician with influence can get his road made into a national highway.
>> This
>> has happened in Nilgiris district where a road between district
>> headquarters
>> and taluk headquarters is now a national highway. Whereas a four-lane
>> divided
>> highway bewteen Bangalore and Mysore is a state highway.
>
> I'm with Kenneth on this. OSM is neither complete nor expected to be
> "accurate". There's no need to comply with legal fiction for road
> quality. If we're going to map a road, we might as well tag the road for its
> actual condition when mapped.
> --
I partially agree to this.
Map the actual condition of the road in cases where the changed
condition makes the road unusable,
For example lets say NH1
Now this is one of the most important highways.Lets say a 10km of this
road gets damaged in rains and becomes a dirt road with 10kmph max
speed, and as usual NHAI takes years to fix it.
But we should not map this as a dirt track. This is a national
highway, and there is actually no other route.

However if some activity happens such that road ceases to exists, for
example the chakki bank bridge got washed away, and people entering
Himachal from Pathankot have to take alternate routes. In this case,
its better to erase the road temporarily.

I have done this in noida. A main road inside was blocked due to
underpass and metro construction. This was a major road, but now its
doable by foot.
I removed that section from the map and re-marked it as a footpath.
I live there, so I can update it when this becomes functional(2009 mid
hopefully).

So just because a National highway becomes pothole ridden, it should
not be marked as a minor road, its still the main road and in many
cases the only road between the towns, however if it becomes
inaccessible and you are aware of it, do make the change.