[Talk-in] Time for consensus

प्रवीण नळे praveen.nale at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 13:03:18 GMT 2008

Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org> wrote:
>Kiran Jonnalagadda wrote:
>>If you look at Google Maps between Bangalore and Mysore, NH209 via Kanakapura
>>is more prominent than the state highway that goes via Ramanagaram and Mandya.
>>If you trust the map to show you the most reliable route, you'll take the
>>national highway. Anyone who frequents the route however will have no
>>second thoughts about taking the state highway.
>> NH17 which runs from Bombay to Mangalore via Goa is in many stretches
>> barely one lane wide, with houses flanking either side. It is neither
>> damaged nor being upgraded.
>
> this is like NH67 from Mysore - ooty - gudalur, and I have tagged it
> appropriately. And it is not going to be more than 2 lane even after 50
> years.

yes, in case of Bangalore - Mysore, it makes sense - state highway
through Mandya is better than the national highway - so it can get
marked as trunk while the NH209 can just be tagged as primary (still
keeping the 'ref' intact). But in case of Mysore-Ooty there is no
other alternative route. So even though the road condition is bad, I
feel it should not be tagged as secondary.

Kenneth's idea of classifying roads depending on cities they link
sounds good - but I hope it doesn't start another round of wars on
where a city belongs ;-) Bangalore imho ain't so big to be included in
list of metros! Maybe 1st level include state capitals, 2nd level
other important cities, 3rd level district places and so on...

Also, we can probably suggest to add another key - avgspeed - to
indicate average speed (similar to currently existing maxspeed,
minspeed restriction keys) using which we can capture the condition of
road (default to say 40kmph if no data). Ofcourse, avgspeed can be
different for different sections of same road. With this information,
we can always create another slippy map overlay (speed-o-track?) which
shows fast and slow tracks in various shades (of red and blue maybe).
Or another overlay (Lanotic?) to show the number of lanes :)

In case of urban areas, we can leave it to individual judgement of
local osm'ers. But make sure all tags from primary to living streets
get used. Primary roads should cover entire city with minimal roads -
so that only most important roads gets marked as primary. Also, no two
parallel (close by) roads should get marked at same level (unless they
are one ways in opposite directions).

Good thing about osm is, as Tanveer mentioned, its going to be dynamic
reflecting actual ground realities!!

-Praveen.