[Talk-in] Time for consensus

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Thu Oct 16 07:42:14 BST 2008

On Thursday 16 October 2008 11:51:58 am Shajeer Mohammed wrote:
> It is great to have a dedicated person like you who can map and make
> changes to roads as their condition changes. But for most people including
> me, I rarely go back and vist the same road once its mapped.

not dedication - I travel these roads every day. So can update the condition
daily. Which is the case with all of us - we maintain our areas. Currently
there are about 10-12 active people in India, but soon there will be
thousands - in that case daily updates of road conditions is possible. That
is why we are better than google

> So if we cant
> come up with once standard lets then come up with 2!. Even though there are
> no standards on construction quality, number of lanes etc..., there is a
> standard on the ownership of the roads. NHAI owns all National Highways and
> Bypasses. State government PWD owns all state highways and local roads are
> owned by local civic bodies.
> So looks like the disagreement is on tagging national highways and state
> highways. I guess we all agree on express ways?

We all agree on expressways - no problem

1. Trunk - connecting major cities. So we have to agree on major cities:

metros - Mum, Chen, Del and Kol (maybe also bengaluru and hyderabad)

2. Primary - connecting 2 tier cities to each other and to major cities

2 tier cities: coimbatore, pune, madurai, mangalore, ahmedabad ...

3. Secondary - connecting district headquarters to state capitals or other
district headquarters

4. Everything else tertiary or less

This is regardless of who owns the road

Within cities - just map using common sense - basically, size of the road and
amount of usage.

--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves