[Talk-in] Time for consensus

PlaneMad thePlaneMad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 12:43:21 BST 2008

I wonder if the day will ever come when the country will have a widespread
expressway network. so in addition to (1) i think we can also tag (2)
between tollbooths as motorways, as these are pretty high speed highways
anyway. i think almost all tolled roads are high speed roads (>80kmph),
right?

Anything else that is non-tolled and atleast 4lane divided can be trunk. (3)
and (5) fall under that

(4) is primary

(6) is secondary

everything else tertiary?

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 5:06 PM, PlaneMad <thePlaneMad at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good idea. These are the kind of roads we have:
>
> 1) Proper expressways. Mumbai-Pune, Ahmedabad-Vadodara and a few bypasses
> bult by nhai
>
> 2)Upgraded national highways. at least 4lane divided with shoulders. gq,
> nsew etc. most of them fall in the nhdp project
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHDP
>
> 3)Upgraded nh's, 2lane with shoulders. like the nh4 between chitoor and
> kolar, nh67 mangalore-hassan
>
> 4)other nh's. single lane
>
> 5)upgraded sh. 4lane divided, like the banglore-mysore highway
>
> 6)other sh 2/1 lane
>
> 7) district roads
>
> 8) others/rural roads between villages
>
> We need to devise one tagging system within metropolitan areas and one
> outside metropolitan areas.
>
> That isnt an NHAI map btw, its mine ;)
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Shajeer Mohammed <shajeer at hotmail.com>wrote:
>
>>  Can we can baseline the tagging based on color codes given on the NHAI
>> map-
>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/India_simplified_roadway_map.svg (big
>> file)
>>

>> Regards
>> Shajeer

>>> daily. Which is the case with all of us - we maintain our areas.
>>> Currently
>>> there are about 10-12 active people in India, but soon there will be
>>> thousands - in that case daily updates of road conditions is possible.
>>> That
>>> is why we are better than google

>>> are
>>> and
>>> are
>>> state
>>>
>>> We all agree on expressways - no problem
>>>
>>> 1. Trunk - connecting major cities. So we have to agree on major cities:
>>>
>>> metros - Mum, Chen, Del and Kol (maybe also bengaluru and hyderabad)
>>>
>>> 2. Primary - connecting 2 tier cities to each other and to major cities
>>>
>>> 2 tier cities: coimbatore, pune, madurai, mangalore, ahmedabad ...
>>>
>>> 3. Secondary - connecting district headquarters to state capitals or
>>> other
>>> district headquarters
>>>
>>> 4. Everything else tertiary or less
>>>
>>> This is regardless of who owns the road
>>>
>>> Within cities - just map using common sense - basically, size of the road
>>> and
>>> amount of usage.
>>>

>>> --
>>> regards