[Talk-in] Time for consensus

PlaneMad thePlaneMad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 16:16:33 BST 2008

:P ok kenneth, no pint banging heads over this issue. but as someone who has
been invovled with wikipedia, i know how it feels when all your hard work
gets modified with someone with a very different idea. which is why its
always better to settle on something so there are no conflicts later on.

Localised city mapping is a different issue and right now its fine if
everyone tries their own approach. but when we are looked at mapping the
highway network, we have to note a few things:

1) it may not be possible to traverse the entire network. you do so because
of your work, not because you want to check the status of the road daily.
This is also true for mapping the railway network

2)We HAVE to make use of satellite imagery and gps traces of others too. if
we were to map only things that we set eyes on, the country would take more
than a decade to get mapped.

3)There are going to be people who are tracing yahoo imagery wether you like
it or not. i have done so for chennai and i think its a great starting
point. so its quite possible that some chennai guy sitting in delhi is going
to be edititng the chennai map and trying to change road classifications
according to his method. theres no way to limit people to editing only their
locality. so we do need some guidelines to avert a mapping mess.