[Talk-in] Server for map in Indian languages

Arindam Ghosh makghosh at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 12:39:17 GMT 2008

Hi

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Gora Mohanty <gora at sarai.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:04:05 +0530
> H.S.Rai <hardeep.rai at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>> Correct. We can scale up as need arises.
>>
>> IMO, on OSM main site a layer may be added for local languages,
>> instead of having different site and setup.
> [...]
>
> Someone called Arindam did some GSoc work on localising
> OSM, but not sure if that was for interface, or data. At
> that time, I had set up an internal local server for OSM.
> Things seemed to work, but I had not tested it extensively.
> I can try setting that up, and looking at the localisation
> work over the next couple of weeks.

Well, till now the rails interface is globalized. Ofcourse lot of
improvements are left but the data/map tile i18n is still to be
done....actually some parts are already there like the multilngual
names [http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Multilingual_names].
Just need to improve on those things.

Some more naming examples:
[http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Talk:Key:name]