[Talk-in] Shop icon and names

PlaneMad thePlaneMad at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 09:05:11 GMT 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 02 Dec 2009 1:45:00 pm H.S.Rai wrote:
>   I have experimented with some changes - dy is now 8 and will be 10
> shortly,
> font size made 8 and word wrap changed to 5. Thus small names will wrap and
> be
> seen under the symbol. It would be good to abbreviate names - the user can
> see
> the full name when he arrives on the spot. So instead of 'Hotel shri
> Madurai
> Muniyandi vilas', 'Muniyandi' is better - anyone will know that it
> represents
> a particular kind of cuisine. (if they do not know what it is, they will
> not
> go there).
> --

kenneth, im of the view that the labels should reflect the signs on the
ground, or the name that is used by the people on the street. this way
someone using the map can ask for directions to the place clearly, otherwise
just asking someone where muniyandi is might get him directed to somebody's
house :)

having the full name avoids any ambiguity, especially since icons might be
interpreted by different people differently.

--
http://j.mp/ArunGanesh