[Talk-in] Shop icon and names

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Wed Dec 2 09:51:02 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 02 Dec 2009 2:35:11 pm PlaneMad wrote:
> > a particular kind of cuisine. (if they do not know what it is, they will
> > not
> > go there).
> > --
>
> kenneth, im of the view that the labels should reflect the signs on the
> ground, or the name that is used by the people on the street. this way
> someone using the map can ask for directions to the place clearly,
>  otherwise just asking someone where muniyandi is might get him directed to
>  somebody's house :)

he would ask for Muniyandi restaurant ;-)

> having the full name avoids any ambiguity, especially since icons might be
> interpreted by different people differently.

sure - but if the full name is there, it will not render. Better to have some
name than no name. But that is upto the mapper - he has to compromise between
clarity and appearance. Mapnik has this 'allow_overlap' feature, if set to
'no', then it will not display anything that overlaps. I have set this to
'yes' on our server, because we have extra zoom levels, but it would look
messy at 16-18. To know how messy, look at osmarender. btw, I solved the logic
problem for displaying non-metered autos. The line is:

<Filter>([amenity]='taxi' and [vehicle]='autorick') and not ([autorick] =
'prepaid' or [autorick] = 'meter')</Filter>

so now the stand in Central shows prepaid while that in Chromepet shows un-
metered. btw, when are the yellow icons with colour neutral indicators coming?

Senior Project Officer