[Talk-in] Trivandrum Mapping Party

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Sat Dec 5 00:48:39 GMT 2009

On Saturday 05 Dec 2009 12:04:13 am Sajjad Anwar wrote:
> Another Mapping Party is planned at Trivandrum during 12-13 December 2009.
> SciPy.in is happening at Technopark, Trivandrum. This would be a good time
> to stage OpenStreetMap. Those who visit SciPy can join us anytime.  More
> details regarding the event is at http://tr.im/GDXQ

some of our engineers will be attending scipy, and they will be bringing GPS
instruments also. Trivandrum has excellent satellite coverage, so mapping can
be done even by people without GPS. I noticed that quite a lot has been done
already. However, I hope that you people are not going to confine your work
just to the party - one can map without a party also. And your NIT work is
still not up to speed. I still cannot see buildings, lawns, trees and some
roads too - I note I can now get to the ladies hostel, but how does one get to
the mini canteen? Mapping is a process, it is done on a daily basis - parties
and things are good (and fun). But in Trivandrum - and calicut town also,
given the fact that there is good satellite imagery, one can sit at home and
do a huge amount of mapping without GPS and without party. Take Mysore, most
of the roads have been traced from satellite by a person from Germany - of
course it is not fully accurate, but those of us with ground knowledge have
been working at correcting this. I met some people in Trivandrum - they said
'we would love to map, but we do not have GPS'. Please make the message in
Trivandrum loud and clear - most of  Trivandrum can be mapped *without* GPS as
long as one has local knowledge of the area. Please add this in your wiki page
also.

Senior Project Officer