[Talk-in] Trivandrum Mapping Party

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Sat Dec 5 06:13:45 GMT 2009

On Saturday 05 Dec 2009 11:29:46 am Harshad RJ wrote:
> > Trivandrum has excellent satellite coverage, so mapping can
> > be done even by people without GPS.
>
> Just wondering what maps do people use in India for reference? I know that
> Yahoo maps have a favorable license but don't support an appropriate zoom
> level in India.

Yahoo! is available in some parts of India

> Even the WMS server from jpl.nasa.gov aren't giving good enough
>  resolutions.
>
> What other options are available?

none - only GPS. Or if someone has mapped the main features with GPS, one can
fill in the gaps from personal observation. For example I go to some town, map
some roads there, map the circles, but do not observe the names. You can add
the names. And given that the basic roads are there, you could add POIs. Or
name the buildings I map.

Senior Project Officer