[Talk-in] a small toy for the weekend

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Sun Dec 6 00:33:00 GMT 2009

On Saturday 05 Dec 2009 5:47:29 pm H.S.Rai wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org> wrote:
> > http://openstreetmap.org.in/measurement.html?zoom=5&lat=21.55529&
> >lon=79.40918&layers=B
>
> Hi man, you are providing more features than http://openstreetmap.org/
>
> Great! How you could do it? So fast! really surprise!!!

it wasn't fast - have been working on that for almost 3 months. My problem is
that I am unable to learn javascript. My style of programming is like that
famous sculptor who was asked how he created a statue of an elephant. He said:
'take a block of stone and chip away everything that does not look like an
elephant'. That is what I have been doing with the examples given on the
openlayers site. Fortunately now that Pradeep is in, things will go faster.
And if we can get some nice looking css in, then we can really attract
audience, which means that we can raise funds for a server of our own
(remember the site is just sharing space with other sites on the NRC-FOSS
server). Once we learn how to put the pieces together, we can shift to
geodjango and have a host of extremely powerful features in a jiffy.
Senior Project Officer