[Talk-in] District Data

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Sun Dec 6 07:19:53 GMT 2009

On Sunday 06 Dec 2009 12:35:12 pm Harshad RJ wrote:
> > On Sunday 06 Dec 2009 12:08:25 pm Harshad RJ wrote:
> > > 1. What is [3] Division for? I don't remember anything in my history
> > >    books about Divisions!
> >
> > the erstwhile Mumbai Presidency has divisions - several districts
> > together and
> > sub-divisions - several taluks together. So you have:
> > division - divisional commissioner
> > district - deputy commissioner
> > sub-division - assistant commissioner
> > taluk - tahsildar
> > this is followed in Karnataka for example.
> >
> > Madras Presidency area:
> > District - collector
> > block - RDO (two or more taluks)
> > taluk - tahsildar
> > this is followed in Tamilnadu
>
> If Division = collection of districts within a state, then its admin_level
> ought to be somewhere between State and Division. In the current proposal,
> it's one level higher than the State!
>
> You say "erstwhile" for Mumbai presidency. Is this presidency/division
> concept still followed in India?

basically India is comprised of the three Presidencies - Bombay, Madras and
Calcutta along with the princely states. I do not know about the Calcutta
Presidency, but have practised law in both Karnataka, which follows the Bombay
model and Tamilnadu, which follows the Madras Model. Karnataka is interesting
because it comprises of 4 parts - Northwest is known as Mumbai Karnataka, as
it was in the Bombay presidency, Bidar, Raichur and Gulbarga came from
Hyderabad (Princely state) and are known as Hyderabad Karnataka and Dakshina
Kannada, Kolar and bangalore cantonment came from Madras, whereas the rest of
Karnataka is known as Old Mysore (as it came from the princely state of
Mysore) - coorg also is an erstwhile princely state. Subsequent to States
reorganisation on linguistic lines, the Presidencies ceased to exist. When I
last practised in Karnataka, Divisions and sub-divisions where still there. I
do not know whether they still exist. However Divisions and sub-divisions are
revenue concepts, and do not warrant lines on a map. One is a collection of
districts and the other a collection of taluks. Blocks in the erstwhile Madras
presidency are still alive and well as a collection of taluks in a particular
district - but they are also not really relevant to a map.

> Do we want it in OSM? Also, is this
> convention standard all over India?

I have already answered this

> Aside, I did some digging on the internet. Both wikipedia and the CIA fact
> book pages for India describe states and union territories as
> "administrative divisions of India". It's used as a generalized term for
>  all countries. The next level is districts, followed by taluks/tehsils.

that is right - only some states have additional things like divisions, sub-
divisions and blocks

also under the new Panchayat Raj, one has Panchayats and Panchayat unions
also. And also town panchayats, village panchayats, selection grade
municipalities, municipalities, corporations etc etc.

Most of these divisions are specific to states - although the presidency legacy
lingers. And of course UTs like Puducherry and Chandigarh have totally
different concepts. Goa for example has provinces and something else, forget
the name.

Senior Project Officer