[Talk-in] District Data

PlaneMad thePlaneMad at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 08:58:00 GMT 2009

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Harshad RJ <harshad.rj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Special attention PlaneMad!
>
> Just noticed this page on the OSM wiki:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dadministrative
>
> The administrative levels are proposed as follows for India
> [1] N/A
> [2] National border
> [3] Division (?)
> [4] State
> [5] District
> [6] Sub-district (Taluk, Tehsil, etc)
>

> Two questions:
>
>    1. What is [3] Division for? I don't remember anything in my history
>    books about Divisions!
>    2. The data I have uploaded yesterday marks every district with
>    admin_level=4. Is it okay to change the wiki in accordance with this, if
>    division can be removed from the list?

i had put that up quite a long time back and now i dont recall what my logic
was. but i guess we need to reconsider this as per your observation. we need
something in between a state and a district, see this map by the
IMD<http://www.imd.gov.in/section/hydro/dynamic/rfmaps/seasonal/mon2009.jpg>
where
they have divided a state into different division. Also the wiki page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subdivisions_of_India has a chart which
indicates a 'division' as a collection of districts.

Kenneth, can you clarify as to what you think of the existing boundary
tagging scheme and if the division and state admin level needs to be
interchanged?

--
http://j.mp/ArunGanesh