[Talk-in] District Data

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 10:01:00 GMT 2009

H.S.Rai wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Harshad RJ <harshad.rj at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The district data has been uploaded.
>
> What it is not being rendered?
>
> Rendering on Mapnik is very quick. I put one test village green with
> name X-Boarder about 30 minutes ago, through which border is passing.
> X-Border has been rendered within less than 30 minutes, but border
> data even after 2 days are not showing up. Do we need to add / change
> tags?

I think the area=yes might be the problem. That would presumably put
this information into the mapnik polygon table, but the rendering rules
for admin boundaries seem to only be defined for ways.

Osmarender presumably just ignores that and renders it anyway.

To indicate the area, they can be put together again as multipolygon

Here are some examples of tagging of one of the German admin_level=4
boundaries:

Regarding the admin_level question, I would think admin_level=4 for
districts wouldn't be consistent with most other uses of admin_level=4 I
know, as those tend to correspond to states (and treated as such by the
renderers) The admin classification as far as I know was set up to be
level=2 : country, level=4: state, level=6: sub state (district?),
level=8: ...
The main categories tend to jump in 2s to give some room for categories
that don't exist everywhere in the world, but still allow a more or less
consistent tagging through out the world.