[Talk-in] District Data

Harshad RJ harshad.rj at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 16:02:05 GMT 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Kai Krueger <kakrueger at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the area=yes might be the problem. That would presumably put
> this information into the mapnik polygon table, but the rendering rules
> for admin boundaries seem to only be defined for ways.
>
> Osmarender presumably just ignores that and renders it anyway.
>
> To indicate the area, they can be put together again as multipolygon
>
> Here are some examples of tagging of one of the German admin_level=4
> boundaries:

> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/62611

I am not sure which is the correct way. But, I am ok if "area=yes" tag is
removed.

> Regarding the admin_level question, I would think admin_level=4 for
> districts wouldn't be consistent with most other uses of admin_level=4 I
> know, as those tend to correspond to states (and treated as such by the
> renderers) The admin classification as far as I know was set up to be
> level=2 : country, level=4: state, level=6: sub state (district?),
> level=8: ...
> The main categories tend to jump in 2s to give some room for categories
> that don't exist everywhere in the world, but still allow a more or less
> consistent tagging through out the world.

Ok, then I guess admin_level=6 makes sense for DISTRICTS. This will allow
admin_level=5 to be used for DIVISIONS if required in the future.

If anybody knows how to script these changes, please tell me or go ahead and
do it yourself. Otherwise, I will do the scripting myself as soon as I get
the time.

regards
--
Harshad RJ