[Talk-in] New direction

Harshad RJ harshad.rj at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 04:40:02 GMT 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 8:02 PM, H.S.Rai <hardeep.rai at gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe with so much data and diverse requirements of various
> individuals and organisations, we need to move from raster to vector.
> Raster tiles may be only for landuse and roads (above residential)
> i.e. very few essential things for base map, even without labels.
>
> On this base layer rest every thing should be vector, what ever user
> want to see, select that and see. With login, one should able to store
> his preferences, and view map of his choice in his language of his
> choice.
>
> What do you think. Should we move in that direction?

Just popping my 2 cents..

Having multiple layers is a great idea. But this could be achieved with
pre-rendered raster images itself.

Moving to vectors is a distinct idea, and I am not sure what are challenges
lie there, and whether the benefits outweigh the problems.

--
Harshad RJ
http://hrj.wikidot.com