[Talk-in] Naming in Hindi / Punjabi

Pradeep B V pradeepbv at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 02:01:27 GMT 2009

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features#Name

> At moment name has been entered in Hindi and English for one tag, for
> many features, like:
>
> name: Hindi name (English Name)
>
> I feel that is not the right approach.

I disagree. This is very helpful as it helps both english literate and
vernacular literate to read the maps simultaneously. Yes it clutters the map
but we need to restrain such namings to a few important landmarks that
characterizes a city/town/village.

> We should tag:
>
> name English name
> name:in Hindi Name
> name:pb Punjabi Name
>
> Then rendering rule should able render as per our choice.

The multi language tagging surely helps. Unless we have multiple
language renderer's this will not be helpful.

The right question to be asked is should we have one renderer per language
if yes then how do we implement it?

en.openstreetmap.in
hi.openstreetmap.in
pb.openstreetmap.in