[Talk-in] Indic fonts on IOSM [was] gillMapping...

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Wed Nov 25 06:07:36 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 25 Nov 2009 11:03:28 am H.S.Rai wrote:
> > at least until the indic font matter is solved - embarrassing that our
> > own server cannot serve our own fonts!
>
> Is it that difficult? Can you let us know difficulties being faced by you?

I put tamil fonts on the server, how to get mapnik to use them? surely someone
has succeeded in doing this

> May I know significant of xlquest in domain of Indian OSM (IOSM)

no significance - it just happens to be a domain owned by me
> server. Will it be more appropriate to have link like:
>
> in.openstreetmap.org
>
> openstreetmap.org/in
>
> openstreetmap.org.in
>
> openstreetmap.in
>
> osm.in

all these would need permission from OSMF - and broad support by the Indian
OSM community. The server is hosted by NRC-FOSS, so no one can complain about
that. If we have that support we could possibly ask Mikel to speak to the OSMF
and see what can be done. Obviously the server deserves a more official sounding
name than xlquest or greenchilly ;-)

--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves