[Talk-in] Bangalore vs Bengaluru

Kiran Jonnalagadda jace at pobox.com
Sat Oct 3 08:25:03 BST 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org> wrote:

> > Given that, shouldn't OSM also list it as "Bangalore"? Like Wikipedia,
> OSM
> > needs NPOV in such matters. If no one has an objection, I will rename the
> > appropriate nodes. We can switch to "Bengaluru" when it becomes official.
>
> who says it is not official? apart from wikipedia?

It is not official because the state government proposed renaming several
cities and towns, including Belgaum, which the centre rejected as Belgaum's
affiliation to Karnataka has been disputed. The state government has not
taken any further action.

Here's a news report from July:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/4746303.cms