[Talk-in] OpenStreetMap workshops

Kiran Jonnalagadda jace at pobox.com
Sat Oct 3 09:18:10 BST 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org> wrote:

> I am sorry to say that my reaction to this totally negative. Why should we
> be
> dependent on foreign funds to conduct workshops?

I'm not sure I understand you, Kenneth. What does foreignness have to do
with it?

NLnet's charter says nothing about geography or economics or anything that
raises the issue of foreignness. They fund any sort of open source or
community development activity. We can do a workshop series without them. We
can also do it without invoking Indian pride, because that has nothing to do
with mapping. By that logic, you should not even use OSM because it is a
foreign project mostly built by foreigners with foreign funding. Same goes
for Python. Where do you stop once you go down this path?

I talked to CIS in Bangalore before NLnet, but their funds are fully
committed for the year. I happened to hear of NLnet just in time for their
bimonthly deadline, and happened to talk to Pradeep since he and I have been
thinking of running workshops for some time, and so went ahead and wrote a
proposal, and wrote *to this list alone* that I included an SotMI stub in
the proposal based on my discussion with Pradeep. It does not exclude anyone
else from having any thoughts on SotMI, nor does it ask NLnet to fund it.

Please tell me what you find so offensive in this.