[Talk-in] OpenStreetMap workshops

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Sun Oct 4 03:20:01 BST 2009

On Saturday 03 Oct 2009 10:47:17 pm Harshad RJ wrote:
> > and believe me, any movement not dependent on self generated funds lasts
> > exactly as long as the funds last.
>
> I don't know either of you guys, so sorry for butting into the discussion.

why would knowing either of us be relevant to the discussion?

> But, Kenneth's argument seems to be inconsistent. If one is worried about
> self-sustainability, they should be arguing about not taking funds at all,
> rather than from whom funds are taken.

self sustainability means raising local funds. Preferably from diverse
sources. One can see many examples of NGOs doing 'good' work and going belly
up because CSR funds have dried up.

> Also, why would seeking external funding preclude the availability of
> self-generated funds? They need not be mutually exclusive. Moreover, in
> this context, what exactly is "external" funding. Is there any legal body
> from whose view point something can be considered "external"?

first stand on your own feet - then maybe accept a helping hand

--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves