[Talk-in] OpenStreetMap workshops

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Tue Oct 6 04:00:04 BST 2009

On Tuesday 06 Oct 2009 8:04:33 am Schuyler Erle wrote:
> * On  3-Oct-2009 at 11:08PM EDT, Kenneth Gonsalves said:
> > it is a question of priorities - either work round the year doing
> > stuff or wait for the 'messiah' (apologies to Schuyler and Mikel if
> > you are reading this - this is not about you, it is about our own
> > shortcomings).
>
> What shortcomings are these? I think you all are doing a fine job
> tackling these difficult questions -- especially if you consider the
> inane chatter that goes on within the international OSM talk list --
> and I am proud to be able to cheer you on from the sidelines. :)

the basic shortcoming is a diffidence regarding our own abilities - the
impression that only workshops and events with 'foreign' participation will
'draw' people.

> I would also like to point out that, to the best of my recollection,
> the workshops that Mikel and I were graciously invited to facilitate
> in 2008 were all organized and funded by local institutions in India,
> with the overarching support of FSF India. Of course, I invite you to
> draw your own conclusions, but I recall thinking that this arrangement
> worked well at the time.

I was not involved then, but I think these were locally funded - and the
arrangement worked well, anyway, well enough for me as this introduced me to
OSM.

--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves