[Talk-in] session at IRS

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Tue Oct 13 10:16:13 BST 2009

hi,

we had a one day work shop on opensource gis at the Institute of Remote
Sensing at Anna University, Chennai. The workshop was jointly organised by
NRC-FOSS, IRS and Kcube (a gis company that is moving into the open source
space). Audience consisted of industry and academic professionals - all of
them used to using software costing crores to produce unusable crap. About a
100 of them. There were presentations by Kcube, a guy working on village stuff,
Ravikumar, joint-secy of OSGEO India and me. Ravikumar has impeccable academic
and industry credentials, and he softened them up - I spoke on OSM. None of
them had ever heard of Open Source or OSM before. They could not believe their
ears (or eyes). You mean your data is free? actually free? we can use it in
commercial apps without paying??? Finally I asked a question - how many of you
are going to contribute to OSM? Fully half of them raised their hands! Maybe
atleast 5-10 will do so. The upshot is that the IRS students want a full day
workshop on OSM on the 23rd - people in Chennai please rally around to help
conduct it.

Senior Project Officer