[Talk-in] GPS retailers in Bangalore

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Fri Oct 16 10:02:57 BST 2009

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 13:52:48 +0530
Guillaume Audirac <guillaume.audirac at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> As my GPS (Holux M-241) has been stolen at the airport during my
> recent trip to Malaysia, I would like to buy a new one.

Ouch! Wonder if the thieves knew what it was, or just picked it
up as a shiny electronic item. Or, maybe even a roll of film,
which it strangely resembles.

> I am also still wondering which model to purchase:
> - a simple data logger: maybe the same Holux M-241 or M-241c
> (without bluetooth), as it is cheap and handy
> - a model allowing to add maps: maybe the Garmin eTrex Legend HCX
> or the Garmin Oregon 300 (but I am a bit reluctant due to the
> price)
[...]

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GPS_Reviews , just in case
you are not aware of it.

> Despite the interest to have maps on it, I would like to know
> your feeling and model preference based on your mapping
> experience. And maybe some other models you would recommend.

We tried out several models, and were happy with the Holux, the
Globalsat DG-100, and the Amod AGL-3080 (all chosen through the
above Wiki page). All of these are loggers, and do not have maps. If
I remember correctly, the latter two have significantly higher
storage capacity.

> And do you know where I could find retailers selling GPS device
> (with maps or just data loggers) in Bangalore ?
[...]

We are in Delhi, but after trying locally, we just opted to order
from http://www.semsons.com/ . You could try to get other buyers
together in order to share shipping.

Regards,
Gora