[Talk-in] veg and non-veg

Alagesa Pandian algesh at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 07:26:20 BST 2009

Kenneth,

There is no general rule on Veg/Non-veg restaurants. They often change
based on locations.
Many highway non-vegetarian eateries/restaurants in tamilnadu have an
explicit sign board saying "no vegetarian food".
This is becoming common in many cities in tamilnadu.

IMHO, colors (in symbol) for restaurants have to represent 3  types of
restaurants
1. Veg - Green
2. Both veg and non-veg (may be orange)
3. Strictly non-vegetarian (red)

pandian

2009/10/22 Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org>:
> On Thursday 22 Oct 2009 11:21:59 am Kiran Jonnalagadda wrote:
>> > Moreover, I am not sure of the relevance of the non-vegetarian attribute.
>> > All the non-vegetarian restaurants I know propose vegetarian meals.
>>
>> You'll find "military" restaurants along highways all over India that are
>> non-veg only. "Military" is a codeword for "no vegetarian food".
>
> no. You can get vegetarian food also in military restaurants. People can
> rarely afford non-veg. At the most they order a veg meal, or idli/dosai, and,
> if they are splurging, maybe a small non-veg side dish. As far as India is
> concerned, so-called non-veg food is 90% veg with a bit of meat as an extra.
> This is unlike the west where meat is the main dish and starch/grass is a side
> dish.
> --
> regards
> Kenneth Gonsalves