[Talk-in] OSM: License and other issues

H.S.Rai hardeep.rai at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 18:29:55 BST 2009

Whenever we try to promote OSM, normally we need to compare it with
Google maps. Major issue is license. It seems to be too complicated
for normal person. Specifically when we read views like(though
comparison is not with Google):

" ... The licencing conditions of Openstreetmap are quite open, though
not as open as those used by the US government ..."

Read complete story at:

http://www.financialexpress.com/news/column-whose-maps-serve-india-the-best/499382/2

I would like to seek clarification:

With present (or future version) of OSM data license, is it possible
to use mix of data, i.e some privately held data with base layer of
OSM data?

Can one use OSM data for earning money?

Other issue is that people love to view satellite images, which are
not there in OSM.

Next issue to ease with which one can prepare map. I don't use Google.
But I know a person who really love OSM and try to promote it and
contributed maximum traces for city to OSM, but he also uses Google,
and he is of the opinion that working in Google is is much easier and
intuitive.

Which are the good solid point which make OSM better than Google
inspite of above observations.

--
H.S.Rai