[Talk-in] OSM: License and other issues

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Fri Oct 23 10:04:15 BST 2009

On Thursday 22 Oct 2009 10:59:55 pm H.S.Rai wrote:
> I would like to seek clarification:
>
> With present (or future version) of OSM data license, is it possible
> to use mix of data, i.e some privately held data with base layer of
> OSM data?

yes - as long as you do not put data over which someone has a proprietary
licenses

> Can one use OSM data for earning money?

of course - otherwise why would so many companies support it

> Other issue is that people love to view satellite images, which are
> not there in OSM.

they can use yahoo satellite images

> Next issue to ease with which one can prepare map. I don't use Google.
> But I know a person who really love OSM and try to promote it and
> contributed maximum traces for city to OSM, but he also uses Google,
> and he is of the opinion that working in Google is is much easier and
> intuitive.

as long as he does not use google data in osm, he is welcome to use what he
wants

> Which are the good solid point which make OSM better than Google
> inspite of above observations.

OSM data is always accurate. It may be missing, but if it is there, it is
accurate. One cannot say that of google. Secondly OSM data is available to
everyone free. Google data is not - you may use google data in many ways,
often free of cost, but the actual data is not available.

Senior Project Officer