[Talk-in] Yet another GPS-mapper-terrorist

Srikanth Lakshmanan srik.lak at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 16:50:59 GMT 2010

Hi All,

A bit late, but better late than never.
http://news.outlookindia.com/item.aspx?673095 is yet another story of
"gps-mapper-terrorist".(Pardon the technology handicapped journos who had
put GPRS instead of GPS) Pradeep BV suggested that we must actually have a
printout of "who-we-are-what-is-OSM-we-are-mappers-not-terrorists" page
whenever we go out for mapping.I think this is very much required given the
terror phobia people and security agencies have. Thoughts welcome.

The other thing that worries me is the term "prohibited area". The one
mentioned in the article is Anushakti Nagar in Bombay which is the
residential colony of employees in BARC which is no where close to
prohibited area( The actual N-reactor / research centre). Is there a way we
can know a place is prohibited or not? The article also says "prohibited
areas are blanked out in maps" which to my knowledge never happens with
Google etc(I can be damn sure about this). So my question is how does one
know what is prohibited area / not.

This came as a significant shock to me when my Dad asked about it as i used
to map around "Kalpakkam township".(Similar place in Tamil Nadu where my
parents live). I havent tried out roaming recently and might not do so
though i feel its should be perfectly OK to map the Township.

--
Regards
Srikanth.L