[Talk-in] GPS purchase

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 03:20:59 GMT 2010

2010/1/26 Gora Mohanty <gora at sarai.net>:
>> My foremost requirement is to get transferred data (GPS logs,
>> WayPoints) from units to Linux loaded PC / Laptop. Till date I
>> have used Garmin GPSmap 76CSx, Garmin eTrex H, Garmin  Geko 201,
>> RoyalTek GPS Data Logger RBT2300. For all above except 76CSx, I
>> have to use M$ windows to get data transferred
> [...]
>
> That is strange. Most GPS units can nowadays be made to work with
> Linux, with exceptions of course. If you can let us borrow a unit
> for a few days, we would be glad to have a go at it.

I mostly use wine to run MapSource that comes along with Garmin units.
With some other software that need port specification but do not
provide USB port as a choice (or provide MS way of looking at things)
the only thing I had to do was make a directory link in
.wine/dosdevices linking USB port to COM ports like:

ln -sf /dev/USB0 COM3

This way when the device is plugged

Ofcourse some sort of download utility like minicom or similar will
also work if you know the serial commands for the devices.

--
Regards,
Sudev Barar

PS: Replying using bottom post/in-line post makes email conversations
whole lot easier for meaningful dialogue. Snip out what is not
relevant. Adopt this and spread the message.