[Talk-in] Indian Slum Mapping

PlaneMad thePlaneMad at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 06:57:02 GMT 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org>wrote:

> let me rephrase that: since Mumbai data is skewed, when mapping any area
> the
> first job is to realign the streets. Naming is more or less ok, but the
> streets
> are out of place. The Yahoo satellite imagery may be relied on as on
> testing
> with GPS in various parts of Mumbai, it is accurate. However due to heavy
> tree
> cover in many parts, it is difficult to trace without GPS tracks.
> --
>

>From my experience fixing Mumbai, i have come to realize that its pretty
much impossible to realign the streets in parts without confusing yourself.
I had started deleting unnamed AND ways to make the task easier, but that
didnt help too much as you lose the reference street geometry to match with
the yahoo imagery.

I feel the best way to fix the map is to remove all the AND paths
completely, start tracing the roads and name them by using an old extract of
the original AND import as reference. Good idea?
--
http://j.mp/ArunGanesh