[Talk-in] Indian Slum Mapping

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Mon Mar 22 05:43:41 GMT 2010

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:32:09 -0700 (PDT)
Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Looks like some folks are simply going into Google Maps to trace
> their slum boundaries http://blog.sdinet.co.za/?p=78
>

> Anyone interested to approach these folks?
[...]

Dear Mikel,

  I hesitate to step in here, as I have little time nowadays to
work on open-source stuff, and that needs to be budgeted carefully.
Even with OSM, I have talked about doing stuff that I have not
managed to complete.

  A second concern here is that government agencies in India are
often a pain to deal with, especially for people who lack the
patience to approach them on their terms.

  Nevertheless, I do agree that this is an important area to be
involved in. I had earlier forwarded your message on slum mapping
in Delhi and Mumbai to some civil society organisations in the
hope that they might be able to help out, and might have better
contacts in the government. More so than trying to get a foothold
in government departments, it might be better to engage people
living in these areas, provided we can show them clear benefits
to helping out in mapping. This requires a long-term commitment
that I cannot do at the moment, but maybe other people who work
in the field can help.

  Next week, I will be going to Bhubaneswar (I hail from Orissa,
and do have the advantage of speaking the local language), and
Bangalore (where I have some contacts with people working in
such areas. Let us see what comes out of that.

Regards,
Gora