[Talk-in] Indian Slum Mapping

Kiran Jonnalagadda jace at pobox.com
Fri Mar 26 12:22:29 GMT 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 4:32 PM, PlaneMad <thePlaneMad at gmail.com> wrote:

> Shouldn't we have a landuse=slum tag for these areas? I would have thought
> that it would have surfaced after the Kibera mapping

For some reason, this makes me a little uncomfortable.

We learnt via the Freemap project that slum rehabilitation is the tool of
the property developer against the city corporation. Since corporations
allow construction of new buildings on previously unavailable land provided
the construction is for the purpose of rehabilitating a slum, property
developers have an incentive to encourage the creation of new slums (in
marshland in Mumbai) and get them recognised as such -- and in a few years,
acquire rights to this new slum land.

Tagging a slum on OSM will likely do nothing to change the situation on the
ground, but it makes one wonder exactly what sort of tool the map is, and
who holds it.