[Talk-in] Tagging mains and crosses

प्रवीण नळे praveen.nale at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 09:34:13 GMT 2010

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Kiran Jonnalagadda <jace at pobox.com> wrote:

> I'm editing the JP Nagar area and noticed many roads are named 1 Main, 2 Main, 3 Main, etc.

I've named it as such assuming it would be easier for search.

Not sure how the search works though - for eg, in the search box on
openstreetmap.org, if I search for "19 Main, HSR layout", it shows all
other mains except 19th Main (its suffixed with 'th' - search for
"19th Main, HSR layout" does give exact results).

And when searching for non-existing roads, eg "28 Main, HSR layout",
atleast gives nearby mains [25-27] whereas searching for "28th Main,
HSR layout" doesn't return any result.

We would also need to keep in mind how sub-roads be named - 15th A
Main or 15A Main?

I would assume dropping the suffixes would be more search engine
friendly - someone expert in search, please advise...

-Praveen