[Talk-in] Transfer the data in the Election commision xml file into points on the map

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Sun May 9 20:31:43 BST 2010

On Sun, 9 May 2010 23:48:42 +0530
Arunmozhi <aruntheguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Recently I downloaded  a xml file from the Election commision GIS
> data that provides accurate information about certain locations
> which is hard to come by from other resouces.See the example data
> from the xml file:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
> *-* <file:///J:/Downloads/AC_LATLONG.xml#> <dataroot>
>  *-* <file:///J:/Downloads/AC_LATLONG.xml#> <AC_LATLONG>
>  * * <ST_CODE>*S01*</ST_CODE>
>  * * <ST_NAME>*ANDHRA PRADESH*</ST_NAME>
>  * * <AC_NO>*259*</AC_NO>
>  * * <AC_NAME>*Sircilla*</AC_NAME>
>  * * <latitude>*84.6225571492*</latitude>
>  * * <longitude>*19.0244533588*</longitude>
> * * </AC_LATLONG>
>
> It can be seen that the LAT and LONG are accurate to 10 digits of
> decimals which we cannot obtain from other sources.
[...]

Er, there is a difference between accuracy, and precision.

An accuracy of 10 decimal digits of latitude/longitude would
correspond to about 10 micro-metres on the Earth's surface. Which is
impossible, unless the Election Commission has moved on from its
*unhackable* EVMs to unparalleled accuracy in measurement.

In other words, their ten decimal digits of precision mean only that
whoever made those entries probably had little idea of what they
were doing.

Regards,
Gora