[Talk-in] Mapping in Kannada

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 14:39:25 GMT 2012

Sorry for partial reply. I did not even realise it was partial until I
checked my email today to send some updates.

OpenJDK in Ubuntu is configured to use specific fonts for non Latin scripts.

Check the configuration for Kannada in openjdk conf files

$ grep -i kannada /etc/java-6-openjdk/fontconfig.properties
filename.Lohit_Kannda=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-kannada-fonts/lohit_kn.ttf

As against configuration for Tamil

$ grep -i tamil /etc/java-6-openjdk/fontconfig.properties
allfonts.tamil=Lohit Tamil
#sequence.fallback=uminghk,shanheisun,wqy-zenhei,japanese-ipafont-gothic,japanese-vlgothic,japanese-sazanami,korean-un,bengali,gujarati,hindi,oriya,punjabi,malayalam,tamil,telugu,sinhala
sequence.fallback=wqy-microhei,uminghk,shanheisun,wqy-zenhei,japanese-ipafont-gothic,japanese-vlgothic,japanese-sazanami,korean-nanumcoding,korean-nanum,bengali,gujarati,hindi,oriya,punjabi,tamil,telugu
sequence.fallback=wqy-microhei,uminghk,shanheisun,wqy-zenhei,japanese-ipafont-gothic,japanese-ipafont-mincho,japanese-vlgothic,japanese-sazanami,korean-un,korean-baekmuk,bengali,gujarati,hindi,oriya,punjabi,tamil,telugu
filename.Lohit_Tamil=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-indic-fonts-core/lohit_ta.ttf

So even if you choose to use fonts from ttf-indic-fonts-core (Kedage
or Malige) you will still need to do some manual configuration in this
properties file.

If your configuration works then I suggest you log a bug against
openjdk package regarding absence of font configuration for Kannada.

Note: The configuration was checked in Ubuntu 12.04. It may not be
same for other versions.

Cheers,
Onkar