[Talk-in] Use of official names for cities

Ishan Chattopadhyaya ichattopadhyaya at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 15:27:15 GMT 2012

Here comes an interesting line from the Shimoga govt site:
"On 1 November 2006, the government of Karnataka announced the renaming of
Shimoga to Shivamogga, along with nine other cities in the state, but the
renaming is yet to get approval from the Central Government."

I think that's where all the confusion is coming from. I would prefer to
see on OSM Central Government ratified names rather than state government
announcements. What do you think?

>>> http://shimoga.nic.in/
>>> http://www.hdmc.gov.in/